Hello, my name is Katie Louise Rushworth and I am 18 years old and a lover of all things fashion and beauty and writing. Check out my blog where I post weekly lifestyle tips, fashion and beauty tricks and travel pics!

Friday 5 January 2018

7 things I learnt in 2017

Hello everyone and happy new year (5 days late, I know) hope you all had a wonderful new year celebrating it with friends and family!

I decided to take the time for today's post to reflect a little bit on 2017 as it was a rather big year for me! I turned 18, passed my driving test, did my A-levels succeeded and got into my first choice university studying my dream career, but it was also a year of lose and regrets that even though I don't want to be reminded of they will forever remain a big part of my 2017.

I feel like a grew a lot more as a person in 2017 and learnt a lot more valuable lessons (like finally using the washing machine by myself for the first time) and for that I have 2017 to thank. It's had it's up and downs but over all I feel like towards the end of 2017 I have become a lot more of a happier and healthier person and that's only the start to an even better year in 2018.



Here are 7 important life lessons I learnt in 2017:

1. Not everyone you lose is a loss
Obviously going off to uni and being nearly a 3 hour drive away from my friends who I went though school with we are going to gradually lose contact and drift apart, it was a given. Now I'm not one of those people who would stick around if I was the only one to be putting effort into the friendship, nope, it has to be a two way effort or that's it, as brutal as it sounds. And that was happening with a few friends who I went through school with and even though it does make me sad to thing that we could have this whole life ahead of us doing amazing things knowing we had grown up together but things happen people move on and that can't be helped, you've always got to put yourself first so feeling guilty because you've moved away to uni and have drifted from childhood friends isn't a bad thing especially if they aren't putting in as much as effort as you to stay in touch.

2. It's OK to say NO
It's OK to say NO in regards to saying no to going out drinking or doing certain things with your friends who ask if you want to join maybe because you just feel like staying in and getting that extra bit of revision or staying in to save money for summer activities! I've often felt bad for saying no as I'm letting people down who want to go out and enjoy themselves but they can't because I'm not going or something along those lines but always think about yourself first and that if you want to say no to not going out then so be it, you shouldn't be made to felt guilty.

3. There is always better days
Since moving to University in September and as stated before being a 3 hour drive away from family and loved ones it has been extremely difficult being in a long distance relationship, now I know it's only been a couple of months and we are still in the same country and people have it a lot worse but it doesn't discount the fact that it is still difficult and I've often spent my nights getting myself all worked up and stressed because I can't just drive down to my boyfriends or friends house and give them a cuddle or something but it doesn't always have to end up in tearful nights, I've realised that being in a long distance relationship makes us both grow us a couple and when we see each other after months it is a lot more worth while so there is always better days.

4. It's okay to grieve 
I've had a lot of sad moments in 2017, losing two people who meant so much to do me made months really tough for me, as well as dealing with family issues that I wish would never happen and being the person I am I often try and hold back my tears as I don't like making a scene or people asking me whats wrong? Now I know they are just trying to be nice and comfort me when I'm down but I don't know if this is just me, but it makes me cry even more! But anyway, I've realised through all the shit 2017 has thrown at me that I'm allowed to grieve and cry, death isn't easy to come to terms with so letting it all out is all you can do.

5. There is no point holding grudges
In regard to the shitty things 2017 has thrown at me I've decided that I'm not longer going to hold grudges against people! I've always been a person to hold grudges against someone for doing me wrong but I've realised that you never know whats round the corner as unkind and nasty as it sounds you never know when it's going to be someones last day so why end on bad terms? I understand that some things can't be fixed in terms of fallouts, but I'm going to go into 2018 giving everyone a second chance, I am a firm believer that everyone can change but only if they want to so for that deserve a second chance.

6. You never know unless you try
I was so excited for 2017 knowing that I would turn 18 and have a lot more opportunities but It was only when it came to it when I had those opportunities I would always try and talk myself out of it! For example learning to drive I thought I never be able to do this and every time I thought of trying my anxiety levels would go through the roof and I'd often get upset and get myself really down because I had so little confidence in myself and the things I could achieve if I just tried! This can also be said with venturing off to Uni, I thought I'd never be able to make any friends and I'd just hate every aspect of uni but I thought up the courage for them both and I moved to Uni meeting a bunch of new people who I can now call my best friends and know they will be for a long time as well as passing my driving test only taking me 6 months, so never think you can't because you can!

7. You can only ever give 100%
I was recently at an awards ceremony for my sixth form college and the guest speaker was discussing how you can only ever give 100% you can never give 110% and as long as you know you have given 100% then you know you have done your best. He also talked in relation to criticism and that it is always a good thing and you should always take it as a good thing! I thought these were very wise words and inspirational to someone like me who often sees criticism as a bad thing and like I've done badly but it's actually just guidance to how you can improve and should always take it into account.

Well there are 7 important things I learnt in 2017 that I intend to take into 2018 and continue to learn and grow as a person!
I can't wait to see what 2018 has in store for me, fingers crossed it's a good year for us all

Thank you for reading, see you soon.
Katie x




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig